Where is the Police Department located and how do I get there?

The Police Department is located at 14300 S. Coil Plus Drive, off of 143rd Street, just east of Route 30 on the south side of the street. The building is just east of Route 30. The Records Division is open from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  Records is closed on weekends and Village Holidays.

What items are available from the Police Department Records Division?

Block Party Requests Application required for barricades
Freedom Of Information Complete form and submit
Parking Ticket Appeals Complete appeal form
Solicitor Permits Complete required application and pay fee
S.O.S. Change of Address Complete form and forward to Secretary of State
Vacation House Checks Complete form to have police officers check your home at least once a day while you are away on vacation.

Where do I go to pay my traffic citation?

Traffic citations and other ordinance violations issued in Will or Kendall County for which a court date is identified on the citation, or in a letter received from the Village’s Courts Division, are handled by the respective Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. In Will County, these citations are handled by the Will County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, 14 W. Jefferson Street, 2nd Floor, Joliet, Illinois. In Kendall County, these citations are handled by the Kendall County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, 807 W. John Street, Yorkville, Illinois. While the Will County Circuit Court utilizes the Police Department as a court location two days per month, fines and court costs related to traffic and other matters heard at that location, can only be paid to the Will County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, on a date Court is in session at the Village’s Police Department, or through other payment options available on the Will County Circuit Court Clerk’s web site. The Village’s Police Department cannot accept payment of fines or court costs related to such matters. Any questions regarding such payments, including the type of payment accepted or due dates for such payments, should be directed to the Will County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office at (815) 727-8592.

I missed my court date? What should I do now?

The Will County Circuit Clerk's office will handle any questions about missed court dates or changing court dates. Contact the Circuit Clerk's office directly by phoning (815) 727-8592.

Does the Plainfield Police Department offer fingerprinting services?

We are available to fingerprint citizens for employment, adoption, licensing, or background investigations Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Fingerprinting is done on a walk-in basis, however, we are only able to provide the service if a Community Service Officer is available. We are asking citizens to call ahead to determine if a CSO will be available (call volume permitting) to assist them. If you are a resident of the Village of Plainfield (a Plainfield mailing address does not necessarily ensure Village residency) or if the fingerprinting is being requested from a business or school in the Village of Plainfield, there is no charge for the service. For citizens who reside outside of the Village of Plainfield, there is a $20 fee for fingerprinting services. Digital fingerprinting utilizing LiveScan is only permitted for those seeking their criminal history record known as Access and Review. For any other purposes that require digital fingerprinting, please refer to the Illinois State approved LiveScan vendors: https://www.idfpr.com/LicenseLookUp/fingerprintlist.asp.

What are Administrative Tickets?

Administrative tickets are issued for Village Ordinance violations as an alternative to the long-form Ordinance Complaint. Administrative tickets provide an individual with the opportunity to pay an administrative fine to the Village and avoid appearing in Court for the violation. A Court date is only assigned if the administrative fine associated with the ticket is not timely paid. Administrative tickets can be issued for various ordinance violations, including but not limited to, Unlawful Possession/Consumption of Alcohol by a Minor (under 21 years of age), Possession of Tobacco by a Minor (under 18 years of age), Possession of Cannabis, Truancy, Curfew, Open Burning, Illegal Use/Possession of Fireworks, Dog at Large, Barking Dog, Illegal Parking or certain vehicle equipment violations. Alternatively, a long-form Ordinance Complaint can be issued for a similar violation, however they are immediately forwarded to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, placed on the Court’s docket, and the individual receiving the Ordinance Complaint is required to appear in Court.

Where do I go to pay my parking/administrative ticket?

The Records Division receives payments for administrative tickets, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  Acceptable forms of payment for administrative tickets are cash, money order, or personal check.  We do not accept credit or debit card payments.  A payment drop-box is located on the circular driveway in front of the Police Depatment for after-hours payments. Payments may also be mailed in, as the citizen copy is an actual pre-addressed envelope in which to send payment. If tickets are not paid within 10 days after issuance, a $20 late fee is added. If tickets remain unpaid, the ticket will be transferred to the Will County Circuit Clerk's Office to be placed on the Court docket.

Where do I pay Red Light Camera tickets?

The Records Division receives payments for Red Light Camera Violation tickets Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Payments for these violations may only be made in cash or by money order/certified check. Payments by credit card may be made at the web site address indicated on the violation notice.

My vehicle was impounded. How do I get it back?

Vehicles impounded for certain traffic violations may be picked up at the Plainfield Police Department, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. There is a $500.00 impound fee, plus the cost of the tow ($125.00 for most vehicles; more for oversized vehicles or vehicles that needed to be winched). In addition, a $30.00 per day storage fee will be assessed beginning the third business day following the impound. Payments may only be made in cash or by a money order/certified check. The vehicle will only be released to the registered owner, regardless of who was driving, and the person driving the vehicle away must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance for the vehicle. Questions may be directed to our Legal Department, 815-439-2494.

Do salesmen and persons placing door hanger items at my residence need a permit to solicit?

Yes, door-to-door sales AND gratuitous distributions (items hung on your door) are regulated by permit. Solicitors permits are required to be displayed at all times by utilizing the yellow lanyard and are signed by the Chief of Police or designee. Permits cost fee is $50.00 for the first applicant and $35 for each additional applicant (up to 15 employees per company) for 60 days. A background check is performed on all individuals listed to ensure the safety of our citizens. Solicitors who do not have a permit should be directed to contact the Police Department or you may call the Police Dispatch Center at (815) 436-2341 to have an officer dispatched to your location. Newspaper delivery is exempt from this ordinance and not-for-profit organizations (Girl Scouts, Salvation Army, etc.).

How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

Accident reports may be obtained from the Records Division at a cost of $5.00 per report. The Police Department provides an insurance letter at no charge for other types of property loss or damage reported from burglary, theft, criminal damage to property or vehicles, etc. Copies of reports other than traffic accidents may be requested by filling out a Freedom of Information form available at the Police Department Records Office. A photo ID of the requestor must be shown before processing. You will receive a response to your request within five (5) business days. If a report is pending an investigation or if there are any court proceedings involved, we cannot release the report. If a report is available, we will call to let you know when it is ready. For more information and the fee structure, see our FOIA policy and request form. If you have questions regarding the process, you may contact the Records Division during business hours at (815) 436-6544.

Does Plainfield require residential Alarm Permits?

No. However, residents are still subject to fees for false alarms.

Does the Plainfield Police Department offer house checks while I am on vacation?

Yes. A Vacation Security Check form must be filled out and turned in to the Police Department, and an officer will check your house on a nightly basis for up to 30 days. Upon your return, we ask that you notify the department, so we can cancel your house check.

Animal Impound Fines

The Plainfield Police Department uses Will County Animal Control for the impounding of at-large, stray, or biting animals. In order to obtain a dog or cat from Will County Animal Control, the owner must first come to the Police Department and receive a $100 Administrative Ticket for "Animal At Large." The owner then receives a release form to bring to Animal Control to release the pet. It's much easier (and cheaper) to be a good neighbor by keeping your pets under control and complying with all state and local licensing ordinances. It also helps keep your pets safe and secure!

Is overnight parking on Village streets allowed?

There is no overnight parking on any streets in the Village from 1:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. This includes all residential streets, along with the downtown business district. There will be a $15 parking ticket issued to anyone who is found parked on the street between those times. If you are having overnight guests or are having your driveway repaired, you must call the Police Non-Emergency Dispatch Center 815-436-2341 for permission to park on the street for up to three (3) consecutive nights. Be prepared to provide your complete vehicle description and exactly where your vehicle will be parked. For longer periods of time, an Extended Overnight Parking form must be filled out and approved by the Chief of Police or the Chief's designee at the Police Station.