The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) may designate properties within the Village of Plainfield that have historical or architectural significance as local landmarks. The HPC also looks at the integrity of design, workmanship, materials, location, setting and feeling, and the extent to which it meets one or more of twelve criteria outlined in the HPC ordinance. Historic Landmark Application
15126 S. Fox River Street (510 N. Fox River Street)The Hartong-Smith House
The first landmark designated in the Village of Plainfield is 15126 S. (510 N.) Fox River Street. It faces the Village Green and is one of the later properties built adjacent to the Green. It is known as The Hartong-Smith House and its architectural style or type is an American Foursquare. Clinton Hartong, a Plainfield native who managed the local lumberyard, built it in 1924. Hartong is credited with building four American Foursquare houses in and around Plainfield.
American Foursquare houses were one of the most popular types from the 1890s through the 1920s. They were two-story residences, typically square in shape with a full facade porch, a dormer on the center of the roof, and were often constructed of brick.
Prior to rehabilitation
24216 W. Ottawa Street (707 W. Ottawa Street)The Brownson-Martin House
The Village's second local landmark is also an American Foursquare. 24216 (707) W. Ottawa Street, known as The Brownson-Martin House. Chester Brownson and his family built the residence in c. 1915. Chester and his brother operated a family butcher shop and Chester served as the town clerk, a precinct committeeman, and postmaster. His wife, Birdie, was a telephone operator and received the first library card issued by the Plainfield Public Library.
The Brownson-Martin House was the first recipient of the Village's Rehabilitation Grant Program and used the up to $10,000 in matching funds to restore the original wood siding on the exterior of the residence while adding an addition to the rear.
24012 W. Commercial St. (409 W. Commercial St.)The Pioneer House
24012 (409) W. Commercial Street is the Village's third property designated as a landmark. It is a Greek Revival cottage that was constructed shortly after the Village was platted. Greek Revival elements on it include its gable front, the cornice returns on the front facade, its scale of 1½ stories, and the frieze windows on the side elevation.
This residence would have been one of the first houses constructed along Commercial Street. It is associated with several prominent early families who helped settle the Village. It is probable that Chester Ingersoll, or one of his associates, constructed the house in 1834. It is known as the Pioneer House due to its association with early residents of the community.
14907 S. Bartlett Avenue (803 N. Bartlett Avenue)The Caton-Kelly-Wright House
14907 S. (803 N.) Bartlett Avenue was designated in Fall 2007 as the Village's fourth landmark, and it was the first property in the East Side Historic District with landmark status. It is known as The Caton-Kelly-Wright House. Albert and Alice Caton built the property and the Caton family is associated with the early development of Plainfield Township.
It is a Queen Anne style residence constructed in 1890. It is unique in the Village in that it has a gambrel roof on its south elevation and shingles on the second story. This house received a Rehabilitation Grant for work including tuckpointing, painting, and window repair. Prior to the rehabilitation grant, the owners completed a substantial amount of rehabilitation work, notably removing aluminum siding and beginning work on restoring the original siding and shingles.
15022 S. Bartlett Avenue (708 N. Bartlett Avenue)The Barr-Hendricksen House
15022 S. (708 N.) Bartlett Avenue is also located in the East Side Historic District. This residence, known as The Barr-Hendricksen House, was constructed c. 1897 and is an Eclectic Queen Anne. It has elements of the Queen Anne style as well as Colonial Revival (original porch columns, attic window), Tudor Revival (stucco and half-timbering on second story), Shingle (curve and slope of second floor, shingles), Craftsman (eave brackets), and Gothic (arch shape on side gable).
It was built by Charles Barr who was a businessman and entrepreneur. He was associated with a grain elevator and other religious, social, and political activities. The residence is part of the East Side Historic District.
14931 S. Bartlett Avenue (723 N. Bartlett Avenue)The Varley-Olsen House
The Varley-Olsen House at 14931 S. (723 N.) Bartlett Avenue was built c. 1905, likely for John and Louisa Varley. The Varleys were farmers from Wheatland Township.
The residence is an example of the Queen Anne style in the Village. It has an asymmetrical and irregularly shaped roof, a dominant front facing gable, variations in the wall texture, a cutaway bay window, and a full facade front porch. The residence is part of the East Side Historic District.
15326 S. Joliet Road (208 N. Joliet Road)The Chittenden-Owens-Spangler House
The Chittenden-Owens-Spangler House is located at 15326 S. (208 N.) Joliet Road. It was modified over time to reflect changing architectural trends. It is now being restored to much of its original appearance. It was constructed between 1883 and 1885 in the Italianate style for George Chittenden, or his son, William. Near the turn of the century, a Queen Anne style porch was added on the front facade. The most striking change occurred c. 1914 when Dr. Owens, then the owner, applied a stucco finish to the exterior in the Moderne style. The stucco finish remained until 2006 when the current owner removed it due to deterioration.
15005 S. Bartlett Avenue (719 N. Bartlett Avenue)The Evarts-Eaton-Lambert House
15005 S. (719 N.) Bartlett Avenue is also known as The Evarts-Eaton-Lambert Residence. It was built c. 1888 and has elements of the Queen Anne and Shingle styles. It has a sweeping side gabled roof with a hexagonal dormer and cut-in balcony - accessible only through a window, and the first floor has a full facade recessed porch. The north elevation has a triangular bay window and there are joist tails visible on the gable end.
The residence was built by the Evarts Family, the owners of the first bank in Plainfield. Its second owners, the Eatons, were farmers in Plainfield and Wheatland Townships. Its current owner is a descendant of the Eaton Family.
24103 W. Lockport Street (600 W. Lockport Street)Standard Oil Station
This building is the first commercial building to become a local landmark in the Village. It was constructed as a Standard Oil Station in 1928 and later operated as Overman's Certified Texaco Station, Allen Hall's Texaco, and as a Welco Gas Port. The current owners purchased, enlarged, and remodeled the gas station in 1984-1985. It was further renovated in 2004 with the assistance of a Village of Plainfield Facade Grant.
The property is typical of the "Domestic" type of service station. This type had an appearance of a picturesque cottage, which was designed to link the structure to a family institution. The station is also typical of the "house with canopy" type. Spanish and Mission style elements are also present with the tile roof. The property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
23921 W. Lockport Street (300 W. Lockport Street)The Darr-Gaylord House
The Darr-Gaylord House is a good example of a late Queen Anne style residence in the Village. The structure was begun in 1897 but was not completed until the following year due to the untimely death of Mr. Darr in October 1897. A member of an early pioneer family in Plainfield, David Darr was a veteran of the Civil War and a local hardware merchant.
The Darr-Gaylord Home is in pristine condition with its original design and materials largely intact. The house has been lovingly maintained by its current owner, Ms. Betty Gaylord. The Gaylord Family descends from the original owners, David and Eliza Darr.
14930 S. Bartlett Avenue (726 N. Bartlett Avenue)The Irwin-Rogman House
The Irwin-Rogman House at 14930 S. Bartlett Avenue is the Village's newest landmark. The house was constructed circa 1903 and this two story residence exhibits many of the distinctive features of an American Queen Anne style, including an asymmetrical facade with a dominant front-facing gable and an eclectic variety of windows. However, the restraint of the emerging Classical Revival style is expressed by the simplified architectural details, modest window patterns, and a large porch with roof balustrade that dominated the facade when the house was originally built.
In addition to the house, the Carriage House was also individually landmarked. The carriage house has been restored by the current owner with the replacement of the previous garage doors with "carriage house-type doors." A door in the cross-gable provides ventilation to the carriage house loft and deep eaves are incorporated into the design mirroring the eave design of the house. The cornerboards on the carriage house have a quarter round moulding at the intersection of the boards and rise uninterrupted from the foundation to the frieze board.
The Irwin-Rogman House was constructed by Lavina J. Irwin and the house was subsequently sold to Charles and Ella Van Dyke in 1907. The Van Dykes would own the house until 1941. The son of Charles and Ella Van Dyke, Earl Van Dyke would eventually become the President and Chairman of Plainfield National Bank.
23839 W. Main StreetThe Green-Lutter House
The Green-Lutter House located at 23839 W. Main Street was constructed circa 1845 by Dennison Green who moved to Plainfield in 1840. The subject house design is based on the design of a Greek Revival home that was owned by one of Green's in-laws in Henrietta, New York. The Greek Revival and cubist style of the Green-Lutter House represents a style of some of the earliest structures in the Village of Plainfield and a period of time that saw a migration of individuals from states like New York to the Midwest. Dennison Green was very active in the Baptist Church in Plainfield and became a devoted abolitionist. Based on folklore, the Green-Lutter House was actively used in the underground railroad and the house's attic and cellar were used to hide runaway slaves.
23842 W. Main Street
The Hagar-Smiley House
The Hagar-Smiley House located at 23842 W. Main Street is now the dental office of Dr. Steven Moravec. This structure was constructed in 1852 and is a wonderful example of a Gothic Revival structure with Tudor and Italianate influences. In addition, the structure has been lovingly restored by Dr. Moravec and represents one of the best examples of a building that has been adapted and reused for a new purpose.
24010 W. Commercial Street
It was the home of Chester Ingersoll, one of Plainfield's early settlers. Chester Ingersoll platted the area around the Village Green in the 1830s.
Home prior to restoration.
The Ingersoll House was under threat of demolition and was relocated.
It was completely restored to its original early nineteenth
24027 W. Lockport Street (500-502 W. Lockport Street)
Opera House Building Block
This building is the second commercial building to become a local landmark in the Village’s Downtown. Architecturally, the Opera House is an excellent example of a Queen Anne structure. Beautifully restored, the Queen Anne elements include the signature “turret” that serves as a landmark at the corner of Lockport and Illinois.
In addition to the rich architectural heritage of this building, the Opera House has a rich history of characters behind its story. The Opera House Block was constructed in 1899 by Clarence Marks. Marks was a prominent business person in Plainfield and one of the leading trotters in Chicago at the end of the 19th century. He was also the owner of the sire of Dan Patch, one of the most famous race horses in America in the early part of the century. After a fire destroyed the original Opera House in 1889, the building was rebuilt by Marks in 1899 and was owned by the Marks family until 1907.
During its glory days, the Opera House housed a theatre and then was home to the “Blue Goose Dance Club." Perhaps the most famous owner of the building was the Hasterts who operated the “Clock Tower Restaurant” and whose son would go on to become Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. The current owners purchased and lovingly restored this building to the original Queen Anne appearance with the assistance of a Village of Plainfield Façade Grant.
24050 W. Lockport Street (527-529 W. Lockport Street)
The Village designated the Masonic Lodge at the northeast corner of Lockport Street and Des Plaines as a local landmark. This historic building was constructed in 1892 by the Masonic Block Company. In 1867, the Masonic Lodge was established in Plainfield and by the later part of the 19th century they were looking for a new home. Much of Downtown Plainfield was destroyed in the 1891 fire and the Masonic Lodge decided to purchase the site after the fire and construction started in 1892. The Masonic Lodge was designed by John Minott, a well-known local architect, who designed a number of historic buildings in the City of Aurora.
The Masonic Lodge is an excellent example of a Queen Anne commercial building in Downtown Plainfield. The Queen Anne style is reflected in the Onion Dome which helps define Downtown Plainfield along with the historic pediment on the roofline of this building. The historic storefront windows on the first floor, along with the rest of the building, were beautifully restored as part of the Village’s façade program several years ago. Plainfield’s Masonic Lodge continues to operate and meet in the building. The building also provides a unique retail space for the Village’s Historic Downtown.
14910 S. Bartlett Avenue (800 N. Bartlett Avenue)
14910 S. Bartlett Avenue, located in the East Side Historic District, is an excellent example of a single-family T-Plan vernacular house with unique Italianate details. John Prescott began construction of the house in September 1887 and completed the house in February 1888.
This house is also associated with one of the Village’s earliest places to worship.The house was built on a lot donated by James R. Ashley, son of Riley B. Ashley, one of the early pastors of the Regular Baptist Church in Plainfield. The house served as the church’s parsonage for a number of years. Another notable fact about this property is that, in its 128-year history, the applicant is only the third owner.
24038 W. Main Street
Halfway House/Plainfield House
The Halfway House, located at 24038 West Main Street, is an example of a single-family home with a Greek Revival Influence. Levi Arnold, the first postmaster in the area, purchased the land and began construction around 1833 for a one-story building and continually expanded the building until 1907 when a second addition was added to the west elevation. The building served as an inn/tavern and a post office in the mid-19th century. It was also the midpoint location on the Dr. John T. Temple Stagecoach Line linking Chicago and Ottawa from 1834 to 1852. The typical Greek Revival architectural design inspired by ancient Greek temples enhanced the building’s historic value featuring a porch with a hipped roof and Tuscan columns. The other building materials include oak and black walnut beams, and black siding boards painted white. In 1980, the Halfway House was listed as a national landmark.
24022 W. Lockport Street
Plainfield Congregational Church/Plymouth Congregational Church
This building is the first church to become a local landmark in the Village. The site of the congregational church is a part of Levi Arnold’s land addition to Plainfield (the southeast quarter of section 9). Daniel Chapman, a farmer and teacher from New York, enrolled as a congregationalist at Oberlin and was ordained in 1842. Chapman and his family made their way to central Illinois organizing the Illinois Central Association of Congregational Churches. In 1845, Chapman was offered a position to preach in Plainfield at a log school shared with Methodists. In 1849, Chapman advocated that the congregational members consider building their own house of worship. Adah Royce sold a half-acre parcel to the Trustees of the Congregational Church where construction of the church began in 1850.
Though the church has been expanded and modified, it is recognized as the oldest continually used church in Will County. The original building dates back to 1850, the earliest dates of the congregation were brought together in 1834. The subject structure has also had interior renovations and installation of a basement in 1940, expansion of the basement in 1966, spire reconstruction in 1973, and a west wing addition in 2002. Despite several additions to expand the original church building, the Plainfield Congregational Church continues to be an outstanding example of the Greek Revival style with several of the historic additions having now achieved historic significance in their own right.