What are the Village boundaries?

The approximate Village boundaries are as follows:  North - 3/4 of a mile north of 119th; West - one mile west of Stewart Road; East - I-55; and South - approximately 1/4 of a mile north of Caton Farm Road.  Please note:  the Village boundaries are not square, rather they radiate out, with pockets of unincorporated land.  For a map of the Village, click here.

What is the Village population?

According to the 2010 Census, the Village has 39,581 residents.  Click here for more demographic information.

Where is Village Hall?

Village Hall is located in Downtown Plainfield at 24401 W. Lockport Street.

What is the square mileage of the Village?

The Village is approximately 24 square miles.

Do I live within the Village of Plainfield's corporate limits?

There are several ways to check whether or not your home is within the Village's corporate limits.
1. Check your tax or water bill;
2. Stop by Village Hall and look at a boundary map; or
3. Visit the Village Map online.

Who do I call if my garbage is not picked up?

Call Village Hall at (815) 439-4250.

Do I need to purchase a business license or register my business?

Yes, businesses and commercial alarms must be registered, please contact the Building Department at 815-439-2937.   In addition, you may wish to check with the Planning Department regarding any zoning ordinances that may affect your business. The Village also requires cigarette and liquor licenses which are available through the Village Clerk's Office.

Do I have to register my home alarm system?

No, residential burglar alarms do not have to be registered. However, residents are still subject to fees for false alarms.  For more information, click here.

How can I check an ordinance?

The complete Municipal Code is available online.

Where can I register to vote?

Voter Registration is available at Village Hall, during regular business hours. To register to vote, you must be 18 years old and a resident of Illinois for 30 days.  Two forms of identification are required, one with a current address.  You may use a driver's license, utility bill, mail, or check.  Applications for absentee ballots may also be picked up at Village Hall.

The Plainfield Public Library also offers voter registration.  Please call (815) 436-6639 for more information.
For a list of other voter registration locations in Plainfield and Will County, visit the Will County Clerk's web site.

Do I have to purchase a license for my pet?

No, the Village does not require pets to be licensed.  However, pets must be on a leash and wear an identification tag. Be sure to check with your County to see if they have any licensing/vaccination requirements.

What township do I live in?  What are the township boundaries?

The boundary between Plainfield and Wheatland Township is 135th Street. Plainfield Township is south of 135th Street, while Wheatland Township is north of 135th Street.

Portions of the Village are also in Kendall County. Oswego Township is west of County Line Road and north of 135th Street, while Na-Au-Say Township is west of County Line Road and south of 135th Street.

Do I need a permit for a garage sale?

Typically, permits are not required for a garage sale.  Garage sale signs may be posted at the entrance to the subdivisions as well as at the garage sale site.

Who do I contact to set-up local services?

For water, sewer, and refuse hauling service, contact the Village at (815) 439-4250. 

For phone/cable/internet service, contact Comcast at 1-800-COMCAST, AT&T at 1-800-244-4444, or Metronet at 779-252-1111. 

For electric service, contact Commonwealth Edison at 1-800-334-7661. 

What arrangements has the Village made in the event of an emergency?

In the event of a tornado or nuclear emergency, a siren will sound with a solid blast lasting 3-5 minutes.  A tornado watch means conditions are right for a tornado to develop.  A tornado warning means a tornado has been sighted and may be approaching.  Seek shelter immediately.  Plainfield also has an Emergency Management Agency.

Can I burn landscape waste?

Open burning is not permitted within the Village limits.

What is the weed ordinance?

Weeds and grasses must be maintained no higher than 8 inches in length.

What are the regulations regarding fences?

A building permit is required to build a fence.  Fences shall not exceed six (6) feet in height and are allowed in the interior side and rear yards.  For fences to be built in a corner side yard, the applicant must obtain a variance through the Village.  The applicant must go through a public hearing and the Village Board makes the final decision in all fence variance matters.

Can I park my vehicle on the street overnight?

No, parking on Village streets is prohibited between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.